2022 Maine U16 Nordic Team Info:
We will be requiring masks to be worn on the bus, inside at race venue should you go in the lodge, and inside the hotel until you are in your own room. You don’t have to wear your mask in your own room with your roommate. If you in the halls or visiting other rooms, masks are to be worn.
First off, congrats on making the Maine U16 trip! Everyone raced so well at the qualifier and I am so excited to see what this team can do!
I am going to be sharing a lot of information in this email, so please read it carefully and pay attention to deadlines.
The group will be departing from Gould Academy in Bethel, Maine on March 12th at 11:00 am (that is the time the bus will be pulling out). Please be there around 10:30 as buses take a while to load and you will need to change into your uniform at Gould; we will hand them out there.
Please bring everything you need to ski that day (boots (skate), clothing, gloves, warm and dry clothes for after the race, snacks, water, etc.) in one bag to take with you on the bus. Please bring a second bag with your overnight gear and clothes and boots for racing the next day in a separate bag. This bag will go in storage under the bus and won't be unloaded till we get to the hotel.
You will need to pack a lunch for this day.
We will be staying that night at the Fox Ridge Resort in North Conway, which is about a 20 minute drive from the race venue.
Dinner is covered in your registration cost.
Note: If you choose not to ride the bus, that is okay. It is included in the cost of the trip and no refunds will be given if you choose not to ride. I need to know by Thursday (3/10) if you are not going to be on the bus so that we know who to be expecting the next day. If I do not hear from you, I will assume you will be at Gould.
On Sunday we will pack the bus and head back to Jackson for a full day of racing. Breakfast will be at the hotel.
We will have a set of races in the morning and the afternoon; lunch is provided that day.
The day is scheduled to end around 2:30, but you know how these days go!
Once everything is said and done, we will head back to Gould where the bus will drop us off and parents will need to pick up kids there.
Here are the instructions for preparing skis so far, we will have further recommendations out later this week so keep an eye out for those:
Skis: PLEASE NOTE WE ARE 100% FLUORO FREE
Please make sure that your skis are clean and kick zones are clearly marked before U16s/Eastern High Schools. This means:
- All klister/kick wax is removed from the sidewalls, and skis should be clean and free of any klister/kick wax
- On classic skis: kick zones well marked, for both hard wax and klister zones (keep it simple!)
- Each pair of skis is named/identified ("classic hard wax” “classic klister” etc.)
- Each pair of skis is marked (with your name as well) for identification purposes
- All markings should be on the tips of the skis
- Wax with a graphite (Start) and let sit for at least 5 hrs.
- Scrape and brush graphite.
- Wax with the recommended paraffin the day before (paraffin recommendations will come out the day before) and let sit for at least 5 hrs.
- Scrape and brush recommended paraffin before arrival to the event.
We will be having a snack table around on Saturday and Sunday. We will be going to the store to get snacks but if you would like to send anything along with your skier to share you may do so, we just ask that it is individually wrapped or packaged. Also if you do send things in containers you would like returned, please label them.
There are a few things I need from each of you:
1. We need to place our order for lunch which will be sandwiches and chips. Please send me your order by Tuesday evening (3/8) as we need to get our order in.
Here are the options: turkey and cheese, ham and cheese, roast beef and cheese, tuna salad, chicken salad, or hummus.(There is a GF option available).
2. Please let me know if you have a food allergy and/or dietary restriction so that I can ensure that we have food for everyone.
3. Please let me know no later than Thursday if you do not plan to take the bus.
4. Please review the attached packing list.
Lastly, here is the website that provides details on the event, but please feel free to reach out with questions. Please reply only to me and do not reply-all to the email. Thanks!
Looking forward to the weekend and some awesome racing !
Elysha M. Dyer