We now spotlight freshman Lily Boulanger of Mtn Valley. She won the 2023 Class B giant slalom title. She also won the WMC slalom title. We asked her about her thinking at the starting line and her plans for next year.
1) What were your preparations leading up to the state meet? I would take the time to myself but try to train as much as I could which would help me have more confidence going into states.
2) How did you deal with the pressure and emotions that come along with competing in a state meet? I would do my own thing and give myself time to myself within each run.
3) What was going through your mind at the starting gate? I was trying to picture myself going through the course and around each gate.
4) What do you contribute your success to?
Probably my training with GACP (Gould Academy Competition Program) on the weekends and my parents for supporting me throughout my skiing.
5) What are your goals/plans for next year? I'm planning on pushing myself more and trying to have more confidence in myself going into races.
6) What surprised you the most about this season? I didn't think I would make it to Easterns at the start of the season.
7) What moment/event will you remember the most from the season? My crash first run of GS shootouts or how my sister and I swapped first and 2nd place for both states.
8) What do you like the most about Alpine skiing? I really like the community and the friends made. It can be an emotional sport and it's nice to be surrounded by really good friends supporting you.