Our next state champion spotlight is junior Jaden Boulanger of Mtn Valley. Boulanger won the 2023 Class B slalom title and was runner-up in giant slalom. She also won the WMC giant slalom title. We asked her about her about what surprised her from the season and her favorite thing about Alpine.
1. What were your preparations leading up to the state meet? I’ve been training all winter, which made a huge impact on my performance. Each race also helped me prepare for the competition at states.
2. How did you deal with the pressure and emotions that come along with competing in a state meet? I went into states believing that if I skied well, I’d place well. Then I was just focused on each individual run, not so much the whole race.
3. What was going through your mind at the starting gate? I wanted to be sure I put down a solid run. I knew the course and I was focused on skiing it my best.
4. What do you contribute your success to? Training each weekend this winter definitely prepared me for states and everything to follow.
5. What are your goals/plans for next year? I hope to make top 15 at Easterns.
6. What surprised you the most about this season? Honestly, my sister’s performance. It’s a huge accomplishment to make it as far as she did, especially as a freshman.
7. What moment/event will you remember the most from the season? Winning MVC’s as a team. We had worked hard for it all season, and we went into it with that as our goal.
8. What do you like most about Alpine Skiing? The positive environment the team aspect of it brings, even though it’s really an individual sport.