We next spotlight senior Logan Ouellette of Leavitt. He won the 2023 Class B Classical, Freestyle, and Pursuit state titles. His freestyle time was the fastest of anyone, regardless of class. He was also the 2023 KVAC freestyle champion. We asked him about his favorite moments, his plans for next year, and more.
1) What were your preparations leading up to the state meet? My preparations leading up to the state meet was focusing on form for both disciplines and giving myself plenty of preparation for the day of the event (plenty of rest and recovery).
2) How did you deal with the pressure and emotions that come along with competing in a state meet? I talked with a lot of my teammates and other competitors, I was anxious about how this race would go but I was also very excited to be a part of it and come out as one of the top freestyle skiers in the state. I still don't know how I feel about that race being my last race of my highschool career, however I can say that I am so thankful for the opportunities and emotions that I was able to have through that meet.
3) What was going through your mind at the start? At the start line I was thinking about getting a good position but more importantly having fun with the races and showing what I can do.
4) What do you contribute your success to? The largest thing I contribute to my success is the dedication I put into the sport and the work that everyone around me has done to become better skiers.
5) What are your goals/plans for next year? My plans for next year is to go to UMO and run on their XC Running team and Track team. I would also like to continue skiing on my own though and try to keep a competitive aspect to my career.
6) What surprised you the most about this season? What surprised me the most about this season was the snow conditions being as good as they were. I am very thankful for that because I and many more remember what states was last year with 50 degrees and rivers going across the trail the first day and 20 degrees with ice the second day.
7) What event will you remember the most from this season? The most significant event that I remember was states, It was so fun staying with my team up in fort kent and skiing on world class trails where some of the greatest skiers have been before.
8) What do you like most about Nordic Skiing? What I like most about nordic skiing is the community. I have met so many amazing people skiing and there are so many that love the sport just because they love to ski.
9) Anything else that you would like to add? I encourage every skier to continue working to become better and growing as a skier but also as a person.